Responses from Liverpool City Region Metro Mayor Candidates
Questions for the 2017 Liverpool City Region Metro Mayor candidates
For the 2017 elections for Liverpool City Region Metro Mayor, we wrote to seven of the eight candidates with two questions about road safety as follows (contact details could not be obtained for Mr Paul Breen):
(1) Would you support a Safe System approach to road safety, with a vision of zero deaths and life-changing injuries?
(2) What measures would you support to achieve this?
As background to these questions,
- Wirral Pedestrians Association (WPA) is very concerned about the high levels of serious pedestrian casualties in Merseyside (the worst in Great Britain).
- In 2013, WPA and Merseyside Cycling Campaign jointly produced a Vision Zero Merseyside document (please see attached [www.vzm.org.uk]) which set out proposals to eradicate fatal and serious injuries to Merseyside pedestrians and cyclists.
- In 2016, WPA wrote to the Merseyside PCC candidates with the same two questions as we are asking you. In her reply, Jane Kennedy (1) agreed to support a Safe System approach to road safety, (2) pledged to make road safety a matter of discussion at the quarterly Force inspections (which she has since done), and (3) said that she would consider adding road safety to the Police & Crime Plan (on which she undertook public consultation in January this year) - so she has started the ball rolling towards safer roads. Her full response is published at http://www.wirralpedestrians.org.uk/pcc_responses.html .
We look forward to your reply.
Answers were received from candidates Tom Crone and Steve Rotheram:
|Last updated: 06 May 2017|